Archive for July, 2010
Sid is freaked out. I am encouraged. One, citizens of the world seem to comprehend the whole mutually assured destruction thing. Two, Americans are very thorough about testing technology.
The Explosions of Every Nuclear Bomb to 1998
Leftists love yelling things like Justice NOW! Well, I believe in justice too. On 9/12, I want to yell justice for all! or something like that. We need better chants.
Also, huge props to Katy Bedingfield, my friend from North Carolina who blogs locally. Those people are brave.
Illegals and Communists Protest Arizona Law in Raleigh (Video)
Is there even a difference?
By: Trevor Loudon
Howard Zinn, the prominent “progressive” historian who died early this year, has been “outed” as both a communist and a liar.
The prominent “progressive” historian Howard Zinn, whose books are force-fed to young people on many college campuses, was not only a member of the Moscow-controlled and Soviet-funded Communist Party USA (CPUSA) but lied about it, according to an FBI file released on Friday
Zinn taught in the political science department of Boston University for 24 years, from 1964 to 1988, and has been a major influence on the modern-day “progressive” movement that backed Barack Obama for president.
Although Zinn denied being a member of the CPUSA, the FBI file discloses that several reliable informants in the party identified Zinn as a member who attended party meetings as many as five times a week.
America is at war but it’s not left versus right. It’s Us and Them.
But the retribution is not what you think. Go read the whole thing:
GM – Chrysler Dealer Closings Was Politically Motivated Retribution; Obama Does Not Care About Jobs
Who, with a straight face, can say that President Obama cares about creating jobs? The man has shut down the oil industry in the gulf. He has passed a health care law that increases business costs thus limiting job creation. And now, his administration is exposed as needlessly shutting down dealerships costing “tens of thousands of jobs“.
The fact is, in order to get the reordered society that Barack Obama seeks, some of the little people have to be lost in the shuffle for the greater good.
I love Texas. A lot.
Best thing you’ll read today and absolutely true for conservatives. Because the press is comprised of liberals, their bias is always to do what is best for liberals. Always.
Rules for parents:
1. Teach them young. Explain that there is no such thing as privacy online.
2. Supervise rigorously. Track and monitor their actions.
3. Choose age-appropriate online things for them to do.
As always: know their friends and friends parents, communicate often, and don’t be naive. Yes, your kid would too do that. Oy.
The Internet started picking on Jessi Slaughter relentlessly. But it was more than just mocking: People started circulating Jessi’s real name, phone number, address and links to all her social networking accounts. Someone prank called her. According to Encyclopedia Dramatica, pranksters spammed her Facebook and MySpace accounts, had pizzas delivered to her house and were considering sending call girls off Craigslist to the address. (Encyclopedia Dramatica currently has a three part section on How to troll Jessi: 1) There are pics of her holding her boobs 2) Tell her to kill herself 3) Tell her dad that we are going to beat her up.) Slaughter’s information and videos also shot through tumblr, aided by the blogging platform’s reblogging system.
Eventually, Jessi’s dad filmed himself yelling at the camera. Boing Boing picked up the video and a meme was born. Actually, the video’s so good it spawned at least three different memes: You dun Goofed, Consequences will never be the same and Cyberpolice.
1. What are your kids doing on the Internet? Normally, we find fears about kids on the Internet the product of technophobic hysteria. But this case is a very good argument for why parents should at least be vaguely aware of what their kids are up to on the Internet. Is your 11 year-old girl embroiled in an underage sex scandal with the lead singer of a popular emo band? Is she threatening to shoot people on YouTube videos? Maybe now is the time to invest in good parental control software before she becomes a meme.
2. Tumblr is becoming a home for trolls. Tumblr was originally the good-natured domain of hip New York creatives. It was, on balance, a creative force on the Internet. But the role it played in trolling Jessi Slaughter shows that Tumblr is developing a nasty side as well. Tumblr founder David Karp better get on this before Tumblr becomes 4chan with a slick minimalist interface.
Cool! I hope this means there will be a prequel and sequel. This movie is begging for one.
Excellent wrap-up of tracking information.